Rosacea is a non-contagious skin inflammation that primarily affects the facial area. Surface capillaries dilate; creating a red flush that may be accompanied by small pustules and lumps. The most severe cases of Rosacea can create an enlarged nose, referred to as Rhinophyma. Rosacea is most predominant in skins with Celtic heritage, is three times more common in women and can develop between the ages of 30 and 60. Evincy Cosmetic Medical Centre offers a range of solutions that receive good results, including Photo Rejuvenation and laser treatment for Rosacea.
What Causes Rosacea?
Whilst there are no official causes of Rosacea, a combination of hereditary and environmental factors can trigger and aggravate its symptoms. Also, there are three possibilities that contribute to the formation of Rosacea. They include:
- Cathelicidins (increased peptide and enzyme activity on the skin’s surface layer)
- Intestinal Bacteria (elevated hydrogen and methane)
- Dermodex Mites on the skin (reaction to faeces)
Whilst rosacea cannot be cured, triggers that can exacerbate symptoms include:
- Temperature changes
- Strenuous Exercise
- Spicy Foods
- Histamines (wine, cheese, yoghurt, beer)
- Over-application of aggressive skin care products
Facial rosacea is categorised into four subtypes, each with varying degrees of symptoms:
- Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea – This condition causes flushing, redness and sensitivity. It produces a permanently red face that can become increasingly red quickly. The blood vessels below the surface of the skin can become dilated, causing broken capillaries otherwise known as spider veins. The skin often becomes very sensitive and sufferers may experience an itching or burning sensation.
- Papulopustular Rosacea – permanent redness, red papules and pustules. The appearance of papulopustular is often mistaken for acne as it possesses characteristic similarities.
- Phymatous Rosacea – Rhinophyma (most common in men), skin thickening of chin / cheeks / forehead / nose. This subtype is not as common, however when it does occur, the person will most likely show symptoms of another subtype of Rosacea first. The symptoms include bumpy skin texture, enlarged pores, oily skin and visibly broken blood vessels.
- Ocular Rosacea – This causes an inflammation of the eyes and is commonly accompanied with the skin symptoms of Rosacea. It produces a watery or bloodshot appearance and can feel gritty, as though there is sand in the eyes. Furthermore the eyes may feel dry, itchy, and sensitive to light. It can also sting/burn. Some people experience blurry vision or a cyst on the eyelid.
Rosacea Treatment Solutions
In conjunction with the frequent topical application of a soothing protectant such as Aloe Vera, the Australian Laser & Skin Clinic offers Photo Rejuvenation and a laser treatment for Rosacea to dramatically reduce the severity and duration of its symptoms. Laser Therapy is a medical grade cold laser that promotes increased skin immunity and intensive repair without heat or discomfort. Emitting a gentle cold beam on affected areas, laser treatment for rosacea naturally promotes cell renewal to reduce inflammation and stabilise redness and itching, whilst promoting strength and relief to swollen and sore flare-ups. It is non-abrasive and completely pain-free, however some patients have reported feeling a slight discomfort and tingling sensation.
Exposure to daylight is considered to be a major factor in the initiation and progression of Rosacea. To prevent and slow down the process from early to advance symptoms, it is recommended to wear sun screen daily whenever you are outdoors. Daily use of a 30+ sunscreen is also paramount when receiving Photo Rejuvenation for Rosacea.
What causes redness?
The most common causes of facial redness are stress, an unbalanced diet, menopause, sun exposure and blood pressure. Rosacea often leads to painful stinging and burning, skin itching, and even acne. The skin experts at Rejuvenation Clinics of Australia can treat the effects of Rosacea so you can have spotless, even-coloured and smooth skin that you’ll love.
Laser therapy is perfect for reducing redness in your face and for improving your overall skin texture. The treatment is a fast and easy solution for reducing permanent face flush and removing visible capillaries. For a long lasting effect, our clinicians recommend a combination of treatments followed by maintenance procedures.
Medical therapeutic skin care
Our skin experts are very experienced with Rosacea and Rosacea acne. We recommend the proper treatment for you after individually assessing your unique symptoms and skin care history. Our skin therapists will develop a personalised series of combined treatments that bring optimum results.